Adapted from this vegan recipe
I love spinach pie and spinach quiche. So I decided to try to make a healthier, vegetarian recipe for it.
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound tofu
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill or ½ teaspoon dried dill weed (replaced with chopped basil)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained and squeezed dry (I used fresh bag of 10 oz spinach)
- 1 (16 ounce) thawed frozen phyllo dough, divided
- ½ cup melted margarine
- Chopped green onion and white onions. Squeezed lemon juice as well.
- Stir in olive oil, when it’s heated add onions and cook until brown.
- Mash the tofu
- Chop and wash spinach
- Mix the tofu in a big bowl with lemon juice, basil, salt and pepper, onions. And added left over Parmesan cheese to enhance flavor.
- Now the fun part, arming the pie. Phyllo dough, melted margarine and spinach mix. Time to preheat the oven to 350 ºC
- 13×9’ pan, brush with melted margarine and layer 2 pieces of phyllo dough on top. Then spread more margarine add 2 layers of phyllo dough and continue this process until half of the dough is used.
- Evenly spread spinach mix on dough
- Top with final phyllo dough layers and bake for 45 minutes.
- Look at nice brown top!
See the flakes? Hmmm
And voilá Vegetarian Spinach Pie!
Just look at the crispy, crunchy layers…taste soo good as well 🙂