The “just roll with it sushi”. Maybe I’ve been watching too much bobs burgers or simply because puns make me incredibly happy haha.
And just rolling with things is what I’ve been doing in the past week 😅 I miss moving, doing yoga but I know my body is recovering nicely from popping my back and soon I’ll be able to do all the things! 🤗So here is a simple sushi recipe you can modify to your liking. Here are the basics: rice of your choice🍚 (or grains, I’ve seen people use quinoa for their sushi) + sushi/rice vinegar + nori sheets (seaweed) + fillings of your choice.
And then you just roll…with it 🍱
- 1 1/2 cups sushi rice, uncooked
- 2 cups of water
- 1/4 cup sushi rice vinegar
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- Cucumber, julienned
- Sweet potato, julienned and lightly steamed with salt and pepper (5 minutes)
- Inari sushi stripes, about 3 inari pouches
- Nori sheets
- Sushi Mat
To make the rice:
- Wash and rinse the rice a couple of times until water is less murky. Then in a medium pan, add in the rice with 2 cups of water. Bring to a soft boil and cook for 20 minutes. Let it cool, for about 30 min +
- In a small saucepan add in the sushi rice vinegar, sugar and salt. Heat until sugar is dissolved. Let it cool
- Once rice is cool, add in the sushi vinegar mixture.
- Add a piece of nori on the sushi mat. Have one edge close to the bottom of the mat (where you will start rolling)
- Make sure rice is cool! And start spreading about 3/4 cups of rice on the nori. Leave some space on the top row, around 1 inch. Dipping your fingers in water will help keep the rice from sticking on to you. Use spoon to flatten and even out the rice
- There’s no specific order for the toppings, I just added the julienned cucumbers first then sweet potato, inari slices and finally avocado.
- And then the fun part! Starting from the edge you start rolling. Tucking everything in place and applying light pressure as you go (watch video for better explanation 😂)
Have you made sushi before? What are your favourite combos?