Photo by mwangi gatheca on Unsplash
So it’s not technically winter yet but it sure feels like it: Waking up is a bit harder each day, the sun is setting earlier, temperatures are dropping and people are a tad more grumpier than usual.
You might be tempted to retreat and not do anything. If you find yourself loosing motivation and energy, you’re in need of an extra boost.
Here are 5 tips to help you beat these seasonal blues:
- You snooze, you lose! I get it, the alarm rings and you’re comfortably wrapped in you warm covers. Why would anyone want to get up? Pressing that snooze button seems logical — but instead you wake up feeling more groggy and annoyed. You’re doing more harm than good for those extra couple of minutes. So before you go to bed, put your alarm somewhere out of reach. When it goes off in the morning, get out of bed right away.
Once you’re up, DO NOT LOOK AT YOUR PHONE. No emails, no social media.
This moment is the foundation for the rest of your day. Give yourself space to be.
- Grounding mornings: Start stretching a bit, open the blinds and look out the window. Take a couple of deep breaths to ground yourself. Tune in to how you feel. How is your body feeling? What are you looking forward to today? What are you grateful for? This mindfulness exercise will help you be more aware throughout the day.
DO NOT LOOK AT YOUR PHONE. I know it’s calling you, but it can wait until you’re out of the house. Take care of yourself before you let noise in. Get ready for work/rest of your day.
- Move your body: Get your blood flowing, heart pumping and more oxygen coming through. Your muscles will thank ya. After all, our bodies are designed to move. So go for a walk at lunchtime, take the stairs when possible, take the longer way home. Bonus: Add in stretches throughout your day. Take a group workout class if you enjoy them!
- Get Social: Catch up with an old friend, or go out to experience something different. It’s about connection. Wherever you are. Even if it’s not in person, you’ll be surprised how a good conversation can ignite your soul.
- Eat whole foods: With the holidays approaching, there will be an endless supply of sugary treats and also the flu. Which is spreading around like free hugs. To make sure your immune system is up to par make sure you’re getting enough rest and proper nutrients. Stay away from sugary and fried foods since they increase inflammation. Indulging once in a while is good but be mindful of what you put in your body.
And that’s it: 5 simple ways to add some extra TLC and give your days a little boost!