Photo by Ashley Batz on Unsplash
I don’t know what I want.
I’m sure you’ve heard these words more than once. Accompanied by the feeling of being ‘stuck’.
You realize you’re not where you want to be but unsure of where to go next. Or you have to make a decision and not sure what to do. I hear ya.
It’s overwhelming and you feel there’s nowhere to go.
And that’s exactly what it is: A feeling. And it’s only temporary.
Repeat after me: it’s not a permanent state.
It can, however last a very long time if you hit decline instead of answering that call.
It’s time to scratch that itch and understand where it’s coming from. Really, because at the end of the day, you have the answers within. But you have to quiet the noise so you can tune into your inner voice.
Here are a couple of things you can do to unstuck yourself now:
- Find your centre: Identify what are your thoughts vs the outside noise. That includes people’s opinions, social media, comparing ourselves to others. Meditate to clear the noise. What feels good to you? How do you want to feel? Write them down and check in often. Answers might change and that’s ok!
- Don’t think about it: The more we try to force an answer, the more likely we are to resist. It’s like forcing yourself to be creative by starring at a piece of blank paper.
- Break the pattern: Try something different. It can be a change in environment, routine, taking a class, walking through a different route.
- Reach for inspiration: Watch some TED talk videos, read books that spark your interest, talk to a friend or go to a concert…What inspires you?
- Be kind and patient with yourself: It’s scary not to know what we want but it’s a wonderful invitation towards a new door opening. The more you practice tuning in, the easier it will be to listen to that voice.
- There is no time frame: Explore and play around. Don’t force anything, the most magical things happen when you surrender. Remember, how you are in your journey is how you’ll be once you reach your ‘destination’ So enjoy the ride.
Mar 28, 2019