This is another one of my favourite Peruvian dishes. Causa Rellena, is normally made with papa amarilla (translates to yellow potato). It has a smooth, silky and creamy flavour and a beautiful golden yellow colour. But living in Toronto means I have limited access to Peruvian produce, so the potatoes used here are Yukon Golden potato! Not the same but still pretty good.
I love this dish because you can have it cold or warm. It’s refreshing on a summer day and can be comforting during the winter as well. There’s a nice tanginess from the lime and nice spice from the aji amarillo sauce (yellow pepper native to Peru as well!) Traditionally you can have it with chicken, crab, tuna, or shrimp.
For a veggie version try replacing meat for mashed firm tofu or chickpeas.
- 1 kg of Potatoes
- 4-5 limes
- 2-3 tsp of aji amarillo sauce (this is the one I found in a Canadian store)
- Extra Virgin Olive oil
- 1 Avocado, sliced
- 3/4 cup carrots, cut in small cubes
- 3/4 cup of peas
- 1 cooked chicken breast (or drained can tuna/crab), if you’re not using any meat you can double the veggies above
- Optional: 2 hardboiled eggs. Sliced
- Salt & Pepper
- Boil potatoes with a slice of lime and a bit of salt. Once it’s cooked, drain and peel skin while its warm
- In a medium pot bring water to boil. Add in the carrots and peas. Once cooked, drain
- In a medium bowl, shred the cooked chicken with two forks. Add in salt and pepper. Stir in the carrots, peas and a bit of mayo. Check if desired consistency
- Once potatoes are cool, move them to a big bowl. Mash the potatoes. Then add the aji amarillo sauce and drizzle a bit of extra virgin olive oil. Slowly add in 3 limes and check the acidity. If you want it to be more sour, add in extra lime juice
- Now it’s time to build it out! In a square or rectangular pan spread 1/2 of the potato mixture evenly. Make sure it’s a nice base
- Add in the avocado slices across and on top of that add in the hard boiled egg slices
- Then layer the chicken veggie filling on top evenly
- Finally, cover with the remaining potato mixture
- Chill (optional) then cut and serve!